Graduate Certificate of Hospitality Management
Step up your hospitality career
Move beyond service and into management with an understanding of the business side of hospitality. You’ll learn how to manage people, organisations, operations, marketing and more. Gain the confidence to become a decision maker.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ECU is ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 30,000 students, many studying online through Open Universities Australia. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
Learn more about ECU.
Explore ECU courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Certificate of Hospitality Management can:
- apply independent judgement when analysing and evaluating complex problems to generate creative solutions
- communicate specialised knowledge, concepts and skills to a variety of audiences in a discipline or professional field
- demonstrate management skills by initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating tasks in a disciplinary or professional field.
Potential career opportunities exist for managers within a range of global hospitality enterprises, including the diverse areas of hotel facility and accommodation provision, restaurant, cafe and bar service, resorts and casinos, visitor attractions and theme parks, event operations, stadia and convention centres, catering companies and hospitality service organisations.
Possible future job titles: Hotel Manager, Restaurant Manager, Hospitality Business Manager, Food & Beverage Manager, Front Office Manager, Resort Manager, Convention Centre Manager, Event Operations Manager, Hospitality Services Manager, Catering and Food Services Manager
Academic admission requirements (Band 6) may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- Bachelor degree; or
Work and Life
- Equivalent prior learning including at least five years relevant professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students can satisfy English competency requirements by showing any of the following:
- An IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0).
- Completion of a Bachelor degree from a country specified by ECU.
- Completion of 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent).
- Equivalent prior learning courses including at least five years relevant professional experience – as accepted by ECU.
- Completion of other tests, courses or programs as accepted by ECU.
Reduce the time it takes to finish your degree. For eligible students, ECU offers credit and recognition of prior learning (CRPL). There are 2 CRPL options:
- Credit transfer to acknowledge students’ formal learning at uni or TAFE.
- Recognition of students’ informal learning gained outside of the education system (for example workplace experience or volunteer training.)
This course is designed for those already working or intending to work in the hospitality industry.
It is aimed at both graduates and professionals with some work experience but no formal university qualifications. The course focuses on developing a foundation of business and management principles, including the management of people and organisations, hospitality operations, marketing, and strategic planning.
Students are exposed to the relevant theory and knowledge in each area, and learning is consolidated through research and case study material in seminars, discussions and assigned project work.
Business acumen within a local and global context, combined within the context of the hospitality sector, will assist in delivering a strong career foundation for senior hospitality management.
Recommended Study Pattern
As a guide, core subjects in this degree can include:
- Managing People and Organisations
- Marketing Leadership
- Global Hospitality Operations Management
As part of your application, you’ll be guided through how to get the right degree structure in place for you.