Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting
Prepare for further study in accounting
This introductory course will teach you the basics of accounting and help you work towards membership with Australia's professional accounting bodies. You'll cover crucial areas like economics, financial management, accounting systems and reports.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Please note: This program is only accepting applications for Semester 1, 2022. There will be no available intake for Semester 2, 2022. Please ensure you submit your application prior to 9 February 2022 if you wish to study this program in 2022.
Upon completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Critically evaluate accounting and financial management strategies and apply them to real world business problems.
- Draft reports that clarify the merits of alternate accounting solutions to justify business advice in multiple contexts.
- Analyse business data to resolve a firm's financial constraints through appropriate match with the theoretical solutions.
The subjects in this course form part of the C7B Master of Professional Accounting (MPA) and/or C7D Master of Professional Accounting (Specialisation) (MPAS) and, once the MPA or MPAS is completed, and depending on the qualifications of the applicant on entry, it is the first part of a pathway for students to qualify for membership of Professional Accounting bodies, including CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand. Students are then able to pursue professional year studies with these bodies.
A completed undergraduate or postgraduate course in a non-accounting discipline at Bachelor level or higher (or equivalent).
- If applicant has already obtained an Australian qualification with an accounting major please do not offer this course.
Work and Life
Qualifications, relevant work experience or other special circumstances, as approved by the Executive Dean or delegated authority. Refer all applications to UTAS.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
This course provides training in accounting for those who do not have an accounting background. Successful completion of this course will give students a solid foundation in accounting fundamentals, and can be built on through further studies to achieve the level of competency required to become an accredited accountant.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
4 core subjects including:
- TAS-BEA603 Economics and Statistical Analysis
- TAS-BFA503 Introduction to Financial Management
- TAS-BFA504 Accounting Systems and Processes
- TAS-BFA507 The Accounting Framework
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.