Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Health Care Management
Step up to leadership in nursing and health care
A postgraduate qualification for healthcare professionals seeking career advancement. Open doors to management with skills in mentoring, supervision, and coaching. Bolster your knowledge of safety and quality. Explore ethics, law and policy.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Jul 21
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this degree students will be able to:
- develop leadership and management in health care
- learn advance skills in implementing safety and quality practices within the workplace
- discover health policy in Australia and beyond
- explore what constitutes ethical decision-making
- understand legal requirements for health care leadership
- gain a solid understanding of key health policies and public health issues within Australia
- discover future trends in health policy.
Enhanced quality and safety skills acquired will position students to
meet consumer expectations of the healthcare system and to fulfil industry demand for increased middle management skills, mentoring, supervision and coaching skills in order to enhance the quality of services. Positions such as Accreditation Coordinator, Quality Manager, Quality and Risk Manager are essential within health services, particularly the private and aged care sectors, for their accreditation. Successful completion of this degree will put graduates in a favourable position to fill such roles.
Completion of a Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) or equivalent in a health related discipline.
Work and Life
Preparation for the course through previous study or professional experiences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Proficiency Requirements
Equivalent of an Academic IELTS overall score of 6.0 with no band less than 6.0.
- Access to adequate library resources and to the Internet is essential for external students.
- Proof of Australian citizenship is required. Please upload a scanned copy of your birth certificate or Australian passport or citizenship certificate along with your application.
Find out if you are eligible and apply at https://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/recognition-of-prior-learning.
If you are already working as a registered nurse, leverage your natural leadership skills and interest in business by taking the next step in your health care career. This short course in Health Care Management will see you develop the expertise to lead change and drive innovation within your healthcare facility and beyond.
Over the course of six months, you will learn both the hard and soft skills needed within the healthcare industry, including leadership, managerial skills, ethics and decision-making and governance protocols.
Delivered by leading nursing academics, these broad range of skills and experiences will prepare you to reinvigorate your career. Once you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the capability to advance your career within the health industry.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate of Health Care Management students must complete the following four (4) core subjects:
- SHP501 Safety and Quality in Health Care
- SHP510 Bioethics and Law for Health Care Leadership
- SHP511 Leadership in Health Care
- SHP541 Health Policy in Australia and Beyond
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.