Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing and Allied Health
Developed after extensive consultation with the mental health profession
Designed to meet the needs of mental health nurses, this course is a rigorous introduction to psychiatric theories and contemporary treatment. Study contemporary mental health, then graduate and grow your career, or continue your psychiatry studies.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 10 Jul 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On completion of this program students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Utilise evidence based knowledge and skills in the planning of respectful, safe, effective and holistic care for the patient with a mental health illness;
- Integrate evidence based models of decision making with the health professional standards of practice and legislation in the planning of patient centred care within the mental health context;
- Use evidence based models of clinical reasoning to facilitate clear effective communication and confident negotiation skills;
- Harness interprofessional collaboration to provide excellent patient care and achieve common goals;
- Model responsible and professional behaviours to colleagues and students in order to provide safe, culturally appropriate and socially just care within a medico-legal framework for mentally ill patients;
- Deconstruct one’s own biases as a means of applying and building professional expertise in the care of mentally ill patients;
- Reflect on practice to facilitate awareness and knowledge of one’s own cognition in order to establish a mechanism for lifelong learning;
- Conduct research retrieval and enquiry to debate contemporary mental health challenges on the global stage, incorporating philosophical, technical and social justice perspectives.
- Clinical Nurse Ward based nursing (Adult, CAMHS, Older Adult, Drug and Alcohol)
- Community Health nurses
- Nurse educators L2
- Drug & Alcohol Services
- Private Hospitals
- Perinatal Mental Health
- GP practice
- Volunteer work Worldwide NGOs
Work and Life
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing and Allied Health applicants must also meet the following specific requirements: Current licence to practise as a registered nurse, or practitioner with an Australian regulatory authority or full membership of an appropriate Australian or Professional organisation.
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
The Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing and Allied Health has been devised and developed following extensive consultation with the professions to address a shortage of practitioners in acute mental health areas. The interdisciplinary program was designed both to upskill the existing workforce and to attract and train appropriate registered nurses and allied health staff for existing and newly created positions in this expanding area of practice. This program encompasses the skills required for triage, assessment, intervention, liaison and emergency care through a blended learning approach structured to provide students with the practical knowledge, theory and ethics essential for the challenging acute-response environment.
Recommended Study Pattern
Three core subjects:
- NURS4024 Contemporary Mental Health Practice
- NURS4025 Interpersonal Communication
- NURS4027 Role of the Mental Health Practitioner in Acute Psychiatry
One elective subject chosen from the following options:
- NURS5006 Professional Role Development
- NURS6007 Introduction to Perinatal and Infant Mental Health
- NURS5017 Reflective Practice in Health (Coming Soon)
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing and Allied Health students must complete 3 mandatory subjects and 1 elective subject.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.