Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences
Explore how the world affects human health
For students seeking the basics of health and the Australian healthcare system. If your role calls for health science communication, or you’re seeking a pathway to medicine, this postgrad course imparts health knowledge in a professional context.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 05 Feb 23
- 09 Jul 23
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
Learn more about UNDA.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On completion of this program students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Apply knowledge of health and health care in professional contexts.
- Integrate knowledge of health sciences with other fields of endeavour, for professional development and lifelong learning.
- Critically analyse and apply ethical principles related to health care and health sciences.
- Apply research and problem-solving skills to analyse, and critically appraise health and scientific information.
- Communicate health science information effectively to a range of audiences.
- Apply an understanding of the organization of the Australian health care in professional contexts.
- Critically analyse the impact of biological, social and environmental determinants of health on the well-being of individuals and populations.
This program supports university graduates from both science and non-science fields looking to work in roles requiring health sciences knowledge and skills. Also provides an opportunity for a pathway to Medicine.
To be eligible for admission to the University of Notre Dame Australia, all applicants must meet the University's minimum requirements for admission. The requirements for admission are detailed in the University's Policy: Admissions. There are no further requirements for entry into this program.
The program will be delivered using a combination of self-directed and on-line learning. Learning activities will be delivered via 3-hour long evening classes starting at 5:30pm or 6pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time) Mondays through Thursdays.
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
The Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences is a postgraduate degree that aims to impart health knowledge and skills to students from a range of non-science backgrounds. The program offers courses that enhance students' ability to communicate health issues effectively at population level. Students will develop an understanding of the social determinants of health and ways in which environmental and other changes affect human health, and how the Australian health care system is organised, financed and delivered. The program also assists students to appreciate the ethical issues relevant to health care and clinical research.
Recommended Study Pattern
To complete this program students must complete the following core subjects:
- MEDI5001 Scientific Literacy and Communication
- MEDI5002 Environment, Society and Health
- MEDI5003 Bioethics in Professional Life
- MEDI5004 The Australian Health Care System
To be eligible for the Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences award, students must complete four (4) compulsory courses, of 25 Units of credit each.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.