Graduate Certificate in Advanced Naturopathic Medicine
Develop specialised naturopathic knowledge
Become an innovative and effective naturopath with new skills gained through this complementary medicine course. Study core subjects in naturopathic philosophy, and choose from electives including women’s health, gut health, and mental health.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Southern Cross University believes in the power of change. Their graduates stride the global stage at the frontline of healthcare, transforming education in the classroom, and tackling the world’s wicked problems with scientific and engineering solutions. Students enjoy award winning support, teaching quality, and online delivery. Ranked among the best for many years, they will help you make the change you seek to transform your tomorrow.
Learn more about SCU.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Course Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a course. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes.
Course Leaning Outcomes
- Demonstrate critical judgement, thinking and understanding of the interplay between traditional and scientific knowledge within naturopathic medicine.
- Develop innovative, creative and effective responses to the integration of traditional and scientific knowledge in professional practice of naturopathic medicine.
- Develop and integrate an understanding of ethical and legal principles and apply these values to the practice of naturopathic medicine.
- Explain established naturopathic theories, guiding philosophies, principles of practice and apply these to the professional practice of naturopathic medicine.
- Demonstrate autonomy, well developed independent judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a learner and practitioner.
- Demonstrate person-oriented care and communicate concisely and appropriately in an oral and written form in an academic, professional and health care settings.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the physical, social, political, ecological and cultural influences that impact health and wellbeing in all members of society.
The Graduate Certificate in Advanced Naturopathic Medicine enables practitioners to extend their knowledge and skills in naturopathic medicine. Career opportunities exist as a naturopathic practitioner or in any number of roles within the complementary medicines industry. You may also choose to pursue further postgraduate studies in advanced naturopathic medicine.
A Bachelor degree in Naturopathic Medicine, or equivalent.
English Proficiency Requirements
English language requirements apply to International applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to this course are as follows:
- Overall: 6.5
- Listening: minimum 6.0
- Speaking: minimum 6.0
- Reading: minimum 6.0
- Writing: minimum 6.0
Applicants or students that can provide supporting documents to verify they already know, understand and can perform the learning outcomes for one or more units within a Southern Cross course, are eligible to have their prior learning assessed for credit by submitting an application for Advanced Standing.
More information can found in https://www.scu.edu.au/current-students/student-administration/recognition-of-prior-learning/.
The complementary medicines industry in Australia is worth an estimated $4.7 billion, and globally, close to $83 billion.
Naturopathic practitioners with advanced knowledge and skills may be well-placed to support this growing field.
The Graduate Certificate in Advanced Naturopathic Medicine provides an introduction to advanced study in naturopathic medicine. The course is ideal if you are a recent naturopathy graduate wishing to develop specialised knowledge, or a practitioner in the field looking to expand your skills, attributes and career opportunities. The course also provides a pathway for graduates wanting to undertake further postgraduate or higher degree studies.
Delivered online in flexible part-time or full-time mode, the course covers critical aspects of naturopathic philosophy, research and evidence-based practice. You'll also be able to deepen your knowledge in a specialised area of clinical practice, such as gastrointestinal health, mental health or reproductive health, through the choice of an elective.
To be eligible to receive the Graduate Certificate in Advanced Naturopathic Medicine students must complete the equivalent of 4 units (48 credit points), comprising
- 2 core units (24 credit points), and
- 2 equivalent elective units (24 credit points).
Choose your subjects
You'll also choose two electives from the following units to expand your knowledge in a specialist area:
- Cognition and the Healthy Brain
- Integrative Mental Health
- Integrative Gastroenterology
- Gut Microbiome and Health
- Integrative Women's Health
- Integrative Reproductive Health
- Food as Medicine.