Associate Degree in Agribusiness
Get sustainable and profitable in your agriculture business
Enter the industry with confidence or fast track your path to leadership. Study essential business skills including people management, finances, and planning. Cover the principles of agriculture including crop production and soil management.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Evaluate knowledge, skills, behaviours and attributes required to develop and enhance career opportunities in agribusiness;
- Evaluate the relationship between business concepts and science theory for contemporary agriculture;
- Reflect on and communicate practical management approaches for changing agribusiness environments;
- Use cognitive, creative and technical skills to enable agribusiness to be agile and adaptable in digital and innovative landscapes;
- Interpret and apply the principles of sustainable business practice through ethical, professional and collaborative conduct
Graduation from the Associate Degree in Agribusiness can provide an entry opportunity for those seeking work in an agribusiness, accelerate progression through a graduate's present agribusiness organisation, or open up new career paths and opportunities.
New to agribusiness and never worked in the industry before?
For those graduates new to agribusiness, roles including trainee positions, team leaders, field officers and researchers are likely.
Already working and want to fast track or leverage off past experience?
For those graduates already working in agriculture, the Associate Degree in Agribusiness should enable graduates to progress from assistant positions to managerial roles, lead a small team, become a field officer, research team member or salesperson and liaise better with suppliers and/ or customers.
Potential types of employers:
- Upstream of the farm: suppliers of seed, fertiliser, chemicals, machinery, stockfeed, labour, finance, business advisory, transport, consultancy, and specialist services such as harvesting contractors.
- Primary production: cropping, horticulture, animal based enterprises, aquaculture, pharmaceuticals, wineries, farm-based tourism.
- Downstream of the farm: processors and value-adders, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, transport and storage operations, logistics, consultants.
Higher education via OUA
Successful completion of any 4 OUA open access subjects of study at the equivalent AQF level, unless otherwise specified.
Domestic Applicants with higher education study - Completed at least one undergraduate subject (equivalent to 12.5 UTAS credit points) within an equivalent AQF Level course or higher.
Completed the TCE (or equivalent)
Successful completion of a Certificate III or higher
Work and Life
Domestic Applicants with work and life experience: If you have not successfully completed senior secondary, tertiary or TAFE/VET study, but have extensive or sustained work experience.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Associate Degree in Agribusiness is an industry-focused course that prepares people to become dynamic, creative, and adaptable practitioners with the skills and knowledge to ensure that the business of agriculture is profitable and sustainable in a modern economic climate. It is an ideal steppingstone for those currently working in agriculture who wish to move into leadership and management roles, or a great foundation for those wishing to enter the industry.
The program combines business management, planning, finance, people management, innovation, and primary production in an authentic learning approach, utilising applied, blended, and online interaction. The course content has been developed in consultation with industry experts and they are actively involved in its delivery.
A key feature of the course is the integrated learning approach that applies an array of experiential education opportunities such as site visits, field work, case studies, simulated work environments, and data-driven decision-making. This aims to enhance students’ problem solving, communication, critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership skills by allowing them to ‘learn through practice’. It has been designed to make university study a little less daunting—and a lot more practical.
The program is available for full-time and part-time study and is delivered through a combination of online study, tutorials, and practical workshop.
Completing our Associate Degree in Agribusiness will give you:
- a pathway to a great career in agriculture
- strong commercial awareness of agribusiness industries
- practical skills to take straight into the workplace
- opportunities to advance in your chosen field
- the skills to help you meet personal career development goals
- credit towards a Bachelor degree at the University of Tasmania
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Year 1. 8 subjects in first year including:
- 6 core subjects:
- TAS-ZAA132 Managing People
- TAS-ZAA133 Business Finance
- TAS-ZAB126 E-agribusiness, Technology and Innovation
- TAS-ZAB111 Agribusiness Management
- TAS-ZAB116 Value Chain Management in Agribusiness
- TAS-ZAB119 Principles of Weed, Pest and Disease Management
- 2 UTAS Electives
Year 2. 8 subjects in second year including:
- 6 core subjects:
- TAS-ZAB221 Fundamental Principles of Agriculture (A)
- TAS-ZAB222 Fundamental Principles of Agriculture (B)
- TAS-ZAB223 Principles of Crop Production
- TAS-ZAB224 Principles of Soil Management
- TAS-ZAB229 Herd and Pasture Management
- TAS-ZAB234 Data and Analysis
- 2 UTAS Electives
Satisfactory completion of 16 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2-5 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.