How to become a minister of religion
What does a minister of religion do?
Ministers of Religion are spiritual leaders tasked with performing the duties ascribed to them by particular religions or faith traditions. They may be responsible for performing services, providing spiritual formation for members of their congregation, acting in social justice or poverty alleviation programs, or liaising with members of the wider community.
Duties and tasks
- Develop, coordinate, or work for social outreach or social justice programs.
- May proselytize or evangelize, depending on the religion.
- Perform marriages, funerals, and other special religious ceremonies according to tradition and ecclesiastical and civil law.
- Prepare sermons or services and deliver them for the congregation.
- Provide emotional support and spiritual activities for members of their particular congregation.
- Teach or coordinate religious education classes.
- Work with musical directors to plan music for services.
- Religious leader
- Salvation army officer
- Welfare caseworker
- Youth worker
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Exploring the Sacred
Creed and Sacraments in Catholic Studies
- Bachelor of Education (Primary Education)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education) (Humanities and Social Sciences - Geography)
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education) (The Arts - Visual Arts)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education) (English Education)
World Religions Today
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.