World Religions Today
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Feb 2023
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Learn more about UNE.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
exhibit an understanding of the role of religions in the modern world;
communicate specialised knowledge of the nature and variety of the changes in the major world religions;
apply cognitive and communication skills to complete an in-depth study of an aspect of the modern phase of religions by means of written assignments; and
demonstrate an informed and educated attitude towards, and a continuing curiosity and interest in, the varieties of religious belief and practice.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in Diploma in Arts
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
Around the world, communities of worshippers follow a set of beliefs in their religious practices and ethical rules. Religious traditions that have evolved in different places have all developed their own set of beliefs and customs that regulate their lives. The focus of this subject is a comparative study of the five major world religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. You will study the foundations and development of each of these religions, with an emphasis on comparing their beliefs and practices in the contemporary world. In doing so, you will gain a deeper knowledge of the nature and variety of world religions and develop your ability to understand others.
Assessment 1 Short answers: 1000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2,4 Assessment 2 Essay: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 3 Participation exercise: 500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2,4
- Short answers (35%)
- Participation exercise (15%)
Current study term: 26 Feb 23 to 09 Jun 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.