How to become a school principal
What does a school principal do?School principals are responsible for the operation and academic performance of primary and secondary schools. They oversee teachers and administration staff to make sure that students are receiving quality education in a safe and disciplined environment.
Duties and tasks
- Take responsibility for overall enrolment and monitoring of students' performance.
- Create and maintain a safe learning environment, enforcing rules as needed.
- Recruit school staff including teachers, administration, and maintenance employees.
- Manage the school budget.
- Network with schools in the community via meetings and conferences.
- Schedule meetings between parents, students and teachers for disciplinary action.
- Work with teachers on compliant and engaging curriculum.
- Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia
- Australian Primary Principals' Association (APPA)
- Australian Principals Federation
- Australian Secondary Principals' Association (APPA)
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised how easy it was to study online, Edward went from squeezing through with a pass to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.