How to become a school principal
What does a school principal do?School principals are responsible for the operation and academic performance of primary and secondary schools. They oversee teachers and administration staff to make sure that students are receiving quality education in a safe and disciplined environment.
Duties and tasks
- Take responsibility for overall enrolment and monitoring of students' performance.
- Create and maintain a safe learning environment, enforcing rules as needed.
- Recruit school staff including teachers, administration, and maintenance employees.
- Manage the school budget.
- Network with schools in the community via meetings and conferences.
- Schedule meetings between parents, students and teachers for disciplinary action.
- Work with teachers on compliant and engaging curriculum.
- Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia
- Australian Primary Principals' Association (APPA)
- Australian Principals Federation
- Australian Secondary Principals' Association (APPA)
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.