How to become an importer, exporter, and wholesaler
What does an importer, exporter, and wholesaler do?
Duties and tasks
- Coordinate the shipping and collection process of products locally and internationally, working with multiple stakeholders and agents to transport and distribute goods
- Create standard procedures for importing, exporting and distributing activities including planning and scheduling production and pricing
- Examine importing and exporting customs and regulations to be followed as well as laws pertaining to the wholesale distribution of goods or produce
- Keep an accurate record of all orders and operations, as well as transportation of supplies and produced items; prepare financial statements and reports on performance
- Maintain relationships with suppliers and distributors ensuring quality and finding new partnerships and opportunities
- Manage and appoint staff working in importing and exporting activities and distribution
- Work with suppliers, staff and stakeholders to ensure quality of products, delivery schedule and negotiate costs
- Customs broker
- Distribution and sales representative
- Merchant wholesaler
- Sales manager
- Sales representative
Discover related degrees
Bachelor of Business with a Major in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Maritime Business Management
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.