How to become a construction project manager
Pathways to this career
- Complete a recognised construction project management certificate.or an undergraduate degree in project management or civil engineering.
- Obtain a recognised Construction Induction Card to be eligible to work on-site.
- Apply for a Building Project Management Services Licence, available from the Australian Business Licence and Information Service, to work as an independent construction project manager.
What does a construction project manager do?
Duties and tasks
- Review architectural drawings and specifications.
- Co-ordinate labour resources, and the procurement and delivery of materials, plant and equipment.
- Work closely with architects, engineers and other technical and trade professionals.
- Negotiates with building owners, property developers and subcontractors involved in the construction process to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Oversee and ensure projects adhere to building legislation and standards of performance, quality, cost and safety.
- Involvement in tender and contract bid process.
- Australian Building and Construction Commission
- Building Professionals Board (New South Wales)
- Victorian Building Authority
- Queensland Building and Construction Commission
- Service SA
- Building Commission (Western Australia)
- Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (Tasmania)
- Building Practitioners Board (Northern Territory)
- Access Canberra
Discover related degrees
Bachelor of Applied Science (Construction Management)
- Level 4 Subjects - Professional
- Level 4 Subjects - Honours
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.