How to become a construction manager
What does a construction manager do?Construction managers handle the complete coordination of projects in civil engineering and infrastructure, commercial and residential buildings, houses, and even large-scale parking garages. They manage crews of laborers and skilled trades, as well as permits, and equipment and machinery rentals.
Duties and tasks
- Bid and negotiate on projects.
- Coordinate laborers and trades.
- Ensure laws and codes are followed.
- Ensure materials and equipment are delivered on time.
- Implement specifications for a project.
- Oversee all work.
- Set up building inspections with the proper authorities.
- Submit plans to zoning boards.
- Australian Construction Industry Forum (ACIF)
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors;
- Building Smart
- Housing Industry Association
- Master Builders Australia
Discover related courses
Bachelor of Applied Science (Construction Management)
- Level 4 Subjects - Professional
- Level 4 Subjects - Honours
Step up your career with these resources
How upskilling or re-skilling could improve your post-COVID-19 career options
Almost every industry has faced immense changes over the course of the COVID-19 crisis. How are you boosting your skillset to secure your career?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.