Commercial and Transport Law
Your upfront cost: $0
- 10 Jul 2023
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explain the basic framework of the Australian system of law-making and by judge-made law to appreciate how they, in combination, are used to resolve potential disputes occurring in the commercial context
- Identify key legal principles underlying business and transport law to apply them to solve complex commercial law problems
- Communicate legal considerations related to commercial law issues by applying a logical step-by-step analysis
- Refer to Mylo for study topics
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
Commercial and transport law is both broad and specific in its reach. This subject introduces broad foundations to business law within Australia before specifically applying understanding gained to the laws governing transport within Australia.
The business law foundation of this subject includes the study of five (5) major areas of civil law:
(1) Contract (which provides the foundation for most commercial transactions);
(2) Tort (which identifies compensable civil wrongs such as negligence);
(3) Property (which governs ownership and interests in land and also personal and intellectual property);
(4) Business entities and relationships (the legal entities and relationships through which business is conducted); and
(5) Business transactions (laws governing the conduct of business).
Specific transport law and policy topics are then studied including governance and regulation of transport activities; transport policy development and implementation; environmental law responsibilities for transport managers; and transport accident investigation.
- Quiz (10%)
- Case Study 1 (25%)
- Case Study 2 (25%)
- Examination - Take Home (40%)
Current study term: 09 Jul 23 to 15 Oct 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.