Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Identify and reflect on academic literacy strategies, processes and requirements and how these might support you to achieve academic success.
- Demonstrate and enact knowledge and understanding of policies and practices relating to academic integrity.
- Use digital search tools and develop strategies to find and critically assess credible, accurate and reliable scholarly material.
- Use a range of technologies and media to construct and communicate ideas, concepts and knowledge informed by critical engagement with the literature.
- Getting Started
- Academic Literacy and Learning
- Reflecting on Literacies
- Academic integrity and attribution
- Living in a digital world
- Contemporary issues in education
- Constructing an academic argument
- Academic writing
- Digital communication
- Digital presentation
- The Portfolio of Evidence
- Building your digital portfolio
- It’s a wrap
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- TAS-ESH106-Academic Literacies (No longer available)
No additional requirements
Do you know how you learn best? Do you know what skills you will need to be successful in your university studies? Academic literacies are the skills that you need to engage successfully with higher education, and this is a foundational subject which assists you to develop these literacies.
In this subject you will consider your preferred learning styles and strategies, and make a concrete plan for your studies during semester. You will reflect on the effectiveness of this plan during your learning and adjust as necessary to help you be a successful learner. You will complete quizzes to help you to consolidate your learning, and be supported in an essay writing and portfolio task.
During the subject you will learn about academic integrity, referencing and writing conventions, communication and presentation, and the use of technologies. This content is delivered through the lens of the teaching profession, and links to the professional application of these literacies as a pre-service/education support teacher.
- Online Quizzes (20%)
- Academic Argument (40%)
- Reflection and Show Portfolio (25%)
- Personal Lesson Plan (15%)
Current study term: 11 Jul 21 to 17 Oct 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.