Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Indigenous Arts, Culture and Design
Enjoy the diversity and complexity of Indigenous art and cultural output. Measure how contact with other cultures has impacted Indigenous art practice. Take part in discussions about intellectual property, representation and presentation.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- understand the diversity and complexity of cultural practices within Australian Indigenous art, culture and design
- describe the role of art, culture and design in contemporary Indigenous societies from regions throughout Australia
- critically examine the process of change and agency through contact with other cultures within Indigenous art, culture and design
- examine the cultural, socio-political, economic and philosophical impact on the development of contemporary Indigenous art, culture and design
- compare and contrast the significance of art, culture and design within Indigenous, Australian and global contexts.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Please note: This subject has been withdrawn from offer. UniSA has suggested existing students enrol into the equivalent subject VIS25 - Australian Aboriginal Art.
Students will further develop their knowledge of the diversity and the role of Indigenous art and culture and design within positioning, diversity and the role of Indigenous art, culture and design within Indigenous, Australian and global contexts, chronology and change of Indigenous art, culture and design, representation and presentation, contact with other cultures, intellectual property, copyrights, moral rights and protocols, contemporary, cultural, socio-political and philosophical discourses.
- 1000 words (25%)
- 2500 words (50%)
- 1000 words (25%)