- Aboriginal Nations Pre-Invasion
- The 'Unsettling' of Australia
- Aboriginal Art in Colonial Australia 1788-1900
- Aboriginal Peoples in the Photographic Archive
- Ephemeral Practices, Ritual, Song and Performance in Aboriginal cultures
- Artefact and Landscape as Memory Triggers in Aboriginal Communities
- Diversity and Difference
- International Markets, Displacement and Commodification in Remote Aboriginal Communities
- Artists as Cultural Warriors: The Twentieth Century Human Rights movements
- Contemporary Art. History Under the Microscope; Reclaiming the Present and the Future
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
You need proficiency in the English language and be competent in writing essays.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as VIS25 Contemporary Indigenous Australian Art.
Explore the histories, aesthetics and politics that shape contemporary Indigenous Australian art. This subject examines artistic practices from a range of geographical and historical contexts within Indigenous Australia. Students are encouraged to engage critically with texts and to assess the reliability of information when approaching this subject. Topics include pre-colonial art, the Dreaming, art as a political strategy, the appropriation of Indigenous art and Indigenous art on the global stage.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Online test (15%)
- Essay 1 (40%)
- Essay 2 (45%)