Build your foundation in building construction. Study the order in which building elements are constructed — including foundations, footings, floors and more. Understand building regulations, standards and codes from the National Construction Code.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 03 Apr 2023
- 18 Sep 2023
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about UniSA.
Explore UniSA courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Outline the various trends in the development of modern housing.
- Identify the current work practices of residential building companies. Identify the principal components of single-storey domestic construction.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the building regulations and standards.
- Explain the sequencing and coordination of building elements.
- Planning and documentation
- Certificate of title and site investigation
- Floor and wall framing
- Roof framing systems
- Trussed roofs, coverings and roof plumbing
- Claddings, linings and finishes
- Wet areas, floor finishes and second fix trades
- Building services and energy efficiency
- Stairs, fire resistance and safety design
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
Gain a solid foundation in the residential building construction industry. Explore the building process, from the initial phase of preliminary concept planning and approvals, right through to the final finishing stage. Learn the basic elements, procedures and practices and come out well versed in the terminology used by professionals. Get an insight into how small building companies operate on a day-to-day basis.
Your course content covers up-to-date building regulations, standards and codes from the National Construction Code. You’ll study building elements and components and their sequencing including foundations, footings, floors, walls, roofs and finishing trades.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Construction Management degree.
Should your course have an exam it will be scheduled for Australian Central Standard Time or Australian Central Daylight Time, depending on the time of the year.
- Continuous Assessment (40%)
- Report (60%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).