Our Blue Planet
Get a grounding in geology and geography with this broad introduction to the inner workings of our planet. Suitable for anyone looking to understand more about Earth, this subject provides a good basis for further study in the natural sciences.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 02 Mar 2020
- 26 Oct 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- apply basic scientific methods in a geological context in order to demonstrate technical and theoretical knowledge of the subject;
- identify and describe common minerals and rocks and understand how they formed in order to demonstrate technical and theoretical knowledge of the subject;
- observe, analyse, understand and interpret common geological features in the landscape;
- demonstrate technical and theoretical knowledge of fundamental Earth processes such as tectonics; and
- transmit information concerning the subject to others using written or verbal forms.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - • Headphones or speakers ( required to listen to lecture and other media provided in units, a USB style headset has proven to provide superior audio quality to the jack style headset when used for online teaching software) • Headset, including microphone (highly recommended for participation in virtual classrooms) • Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations)
- SoftwareDetails - Please refer students to link for requirements: http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component.
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required if students choose to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School. In 2020 the Non-Mandatory Intensive school will be held April 22-25 at the Armidale campus NSW. Students who do not attend the non-mandatory intensive school or study this subject in Trimester 3 are required to complete the assignment on Rocks and Minerals.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This is a broad introductory subject covering how our planet works, what it is made up of, and why. Topics are focused on solid earth include the gross structure of planet Earth, plate tectonics, volcanism, earthquakes, geological time, history of life on Earth, and the materials that make up Earth's crust and the processes that operate to form these materials. The subject also covers how life, water, soil and environmental issues are influenced by geology, and importantly why and how geology gives context to them. This subject is recommended for all scientists including, geology; environmental science; geographers; natural resources; agriculture; archaeology; biology; and anyone whom is seeking an understanding of our blue planet.
Assignment: Rock and Mineral Summary. 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 4 and 5 Essay: 1200 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 4 and 5 Online Assessment: 5 x online quizzes. Relates to Learning Outcomes 3 and 4 Practical: All practical/laboratory/tutorial activities as essential to student learning. Attendance and participation in all practical/laboratory/tutorial classes (sessions) is mandatory - exemptions will not be granted without supporting evidence.
- Assignment - Rock and Mineral Summary (40%)
- Essay (30%)
- Online Assessment (30%)
- Practical (0%)
Earth: Portrait of a Planet 6th ed. and Geotours Workbook 2nd ed. set
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.