Legal Professional Skills
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 02 Mar 2020
- 29 Jun 2020
- 26 Oct 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate legal research skills to locate relevant primary and secondary legal sources;
- evaluate alternate research strategies for identifying, understanding and utilising research results in a legal context;
- critically analyse legal research results and materials and apply them for addressing legal problems;
- plan and execute a legal research and writing project;
- understand and demonstrate the different written communications conventions that apply to writing for different contexts; and
- demonstrate plain English legal writing skills using appropriate professional language, a logically ordered structure and with appropriate referencing.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject teaches online and database research strategies for primary and secondary legal materials. Students are taught how to plan a legal writing project from research stage through to analysis of materials and written execution. It introduces students to the skill of writing persuasively, concisely and in plain English to legal audiences in a variety of contexts.
Assignment 1: 800 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes (LOs) 1, 2 Assignment 2: 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes (LOs) 3, 4, 5 Assignment 3: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes (LOs) 1-6
- Assignment 1 (15%%)
- Assignment 2 (35%%)
- Assignment 3 (50%%)
Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide 2nd ed.
Corbett-Jarvis, N. and Grigg, B.
Laying Down the Law 10th ed.
Creyke, R., Hamer, D., O'Mara, P., Smith, B. and Taylor, T.
Plain Language for Lawyers 4th revised ed.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.