German Language 1B
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jun 2023
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Learn more about UNE.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate extended listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in German language;
- communicate in German with some depth on selected topics of everyday life, such as shopping, ordering in a restaurant, places to visit, and sports and leisure activities;
- apply an extended knowledge of contemporary German cultural and social norms and German society; and
- use cognitive skills to analyse and synthesise information.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s. First language (German) speakers may not enrol in German language units except when required for (school) teaching accreditation in Australian states and territories.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
German is a major world language, with more than 130 million native speakers in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and many other countries. There are German-speaking minority groups in over 42 countries across the globe. In this subject you will develop your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, which will allow you to increase your proficiency in everyday basic written and spoken German. You will achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1/2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Enhance your ability to communicate in German, whether for business or personal relationships.
Online Quiz 1: 150 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 2: 150 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 3: 150 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Language Assessment 1: 750 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4 Language Assessment 2: 750 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4 Take Home Exam: 2hrs 30mins. Assessment Notes: It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the unit. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4
- Language Assessment 1 (20%)
- Language Assessment 2 (20%)
- Quiz 1 (5%)
- Quiz 2 (5%)
- Quiz 3 (5%)
- Take Home Exam (45%)
Current study term: 25 Jun 23 to 06 Oct 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.