Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
German Language 1A
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 02 Mar 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate elementary listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in everyday German language;
- communicate in German with some depth on selected topics of everyday life, such as talking about self, family and friends; discussing hobbies and interests; and providing information about living arrangements;
- apply a basic knowledge of contemporary German cultural and social norms and German society; and
- use cognitive skills to analyse and synthesise information.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required if students choose to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School. In 2020 the Non-Mandatory Intensive school will be held March 14-15 at the UNE Syndey campus Parramatta NSW. The Intensive school will be held if sufficient students commit by the date specified by the unit coordinator. Students are strongly encouraged to attend, as the Intensive School will offer activities that boost pronunciation and oral skills development.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
German is the most widely spoken language in Europe and one of the most important international languages. This subject is designed for students with no or little previous knowledge of German. The emphasis throughout the subject is on the acquisition of the basic skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing in everyday German. Aspects of contemporary German culture and society are also discussed.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1/1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Language Assessment 1: 1500 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Writing, reading, listening and speaking exercises. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Language Assessment 2: 2000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: Writing, reading, listening and speaking exercises. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Online Quiz 1: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 2: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 3: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 4: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4
- Language Assessment 1 (35%)
- Language Assessment 2 (45%)
- Online Quiz 1 (5%)
- Online Quiz 2 (5%)
- Online Quiz 3 (5%)
- Online Quiz 4 (5%)
Deutsch: Na Klar 8th ed.
Di Donato, R. and Clyde, M.D.
Collins German Dictionary 9th ed. 2019
Deutsch - der, die, das. Hueber Wheels
Hueber Publisher, Germany
Workbook Lab Manual for Deutsch: Na klar 8th ed.
Briggs, J. and Daves-Schneider, L.
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major