German Language 1A
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate elementary listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in everyday German language;
- communicate in German with some depth on selected topics of everyday life, such as talking about self, family and friends; discussing hobbies and interests; and providing information about living arrangements;
- apply a basic knowledge of contemporary German cultural and social norms and German society; and
- use cognitive skills to analyse and synthesise information.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Travel requirements - Travel may be required if students choose to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School. 2021 dates to be advised. The Intensive school will be held if sufficient students commit by the date specified by the unit coordinator. Students are strongly encouraged to attend, as the Intensive School will offer activities that boost pronunciation and oral skills development.
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next."Hard copy textbook (packaged with a Connect registration code). This gives 2 years electronic access to Connect. Connect includes the digitally enhanced eBook, the online Workbook/Lab Manual activities, LearnSmart (grammar tutorials), and all of the accompanying audio and video resources.
OR Electronic access to Connect-only. Includes 2 years of access to Connect. Connect includes an interactive eBook, the complete Workbook/Lab Manual, LearnSmart (grammar tutorials), and all the audio and video materials.
These learning resources will be used for four units (GRMN101, GRMN102, GRMN201 and GRMN202)."
German is the most widely spoken language in Europe and one of the most important international languages. This subject is designed for students with no or little previous knowledge of German. The emphasis throughout the subject is on the acquisition of the basic skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing in everyday German. Aspects of contemporary German culture and society are also discussed.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1/1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Language Assessment 1: 1500 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: A collection of learner-centred, personally relevant tasks and activities that foster receptive and/or productive language skills. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Language Assessment 2: 2000 words (equivalent). Assessment Notes: A collection of learner-centred, personally relevant tasks and activities that foster receptive and/or productive language skills. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Online Quiz 1: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 2: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 3: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4 Online Quiz 4: 200 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4
- Language Assessment 1 (35%)
- Language Assessment 2 (45%)
- Online Quiz 1 (5%)
- Online Quiz 2 (5%)
- Online Quiz 3 (5%)
- Online Quiz 4 (5%)
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major