Requirements Analysis and Modelling
Generate solutions to information technology problems using analysis, modelling and design techniques.
Construct an understanding of object-oriented and agile approaches to systems analysis. Take on these challenges in individual and group scenarios.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 31 May 2021
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Apply system analysis, modelling and design techniques to real world problems.
- Apply advanced and coherent knowledge of the structured, object oriented and agile approaches to systems analysis.
- Effectively communicate requirements and possible solutions to business problems.
- Work professionally and function as an effective leader or member of a diverse team.
- The role of the analyst and the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Investigating system requirements
- Project management and planning in the context of requirements analysis modelling
- Data gathering techniques
- Modelling system requirements: traditional approach – specifically Data Flow Diagrams (DFDs); Object-Oriented (OO) approach - focusing on use cases and activity diagrams; and agile systems development
- Evaluation of alternatives for requirements, environments and implementation
- Waterfall and Agile Systems development methodologies
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
SWI-INF10002-Database Analysis and Design, or SWI-INF20004 ;
INF10002 can be completed either before OR at the same time.
- OtherDetails -
Scheepers, H (ed.) 2015, INF20003 Requirement Analysis Modelling. Cengage Learning Technology, first edn. This is an electronic book based on Satzinger, J, Jackson RB and Burd, SD 2015, Systems Analysis and Design in a Changing World, 7th edn., Cengage Learning Course Technology.
This subject endeavours to provide knowledge and understanding of contemporary issues in systems development. It covers various systems development lifecycles, methodologies, techniques and tools, exploring the contexts in which they succeed and fail. Factors affecting the success of these methods are examined, along with comparisons of the values and principles that underlie these methods. After completing this subject, students will be able to understand and analyse real world Information Technology (IT) problems using modelling techniques to identify system requirements.
- Assignment 1 (Individual) (10-20%)
- Online activities (Individual) (10-20%)
- Assignments 2 (Group) (25-35%)
- Invigilated Exam (35-55%)
Current study term: 30 May 21 to 29 Aug 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.