- Core OO Concepts
- Java Collection Framework, Generics and Parameterised Typing
- GUI Programming (AWT/Swing)
- Concurrency and Multithreading
- Java Client-Server Computing, Serialisation
- GoF Design Patterns
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
RMI-CPT121-Programming 1 , or RMI-CPT12
- SoftwareDetails - Unrestricted access to a Windows, Macintosh or Linux PC capable of running the Java Software Development Kit (SDK) and a Java code development IDE (such as Eclipse).
- OtherDetails -
Stable broadband connection required to access online learning materials and live chat sessions/recordings. (note: mobile broadband users may have difficulties participating in live chat sessions)
This subject provides students with an advanced understanding of software development with an emphasis on architecture and design, and how this relates to programming and implementation. Students will explore advanced object oriented concepts and the relationship between design in Unified Modelling Language (UML) and its expression in code and how this is supported by modelling tools and development platforms; parallelism using multi-threading, and first principles client server architecture using socket communications and basic protocols. Students will also explore common object oriented design patterns and their application in domain-specific contexts as well as user interface programming.
The subject builds upon existing programming knowledge using Java as the implementation platform, and assumes students already have a basic understanding of Java programming and basic object oriented concepts.
- Project Part 2 (25%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Project Part 1 (25%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.