Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Preparing for Professional Community Practice
Undertake a community work placement with an organisation. Observe industry professionals in a collaborative setting. Get a sense of the work while participating in organisational activities. Record detailed and rigorous notes and reflections.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will:
- apply concepts and theoretical ideas to the study of organisations that draw on notions of ‘community’
- compare, contrast and review organisational practice with literature on community development
- observe in depth the processes and practices of one organisation that draws on notions of ‘community’
- contribute to an organisation’s activities by negotiating to carry out a series of practical tasks in an organisational setting
- extend their knowledge of organisations involved in community development initiatives.
- Workshop 1: Introduction
- Workshop 2: Placement approaches and objectives
- Workshop 3: Professional Practice
- Workshop 4: Mid-semester Review
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Students must have completed 18 credit points (6 OUA subjects) at Level 1 before enrolling in this subject.
- PlacementDetails - Completion of 90 hour placement
This subject was previously known as COD324A Projects in Community Development.
This placement subject gives students the opportunity to examine how ideas and practice interconnect. The primary part of this subject requires students to undertake a placement within an organisation that undertakes community-based work. Students will be encouraged to look, listen and consider the linkages between theory and practice by going 'into the field' and reflecting on the process of working within the community.
Students are required to complete 90 placement hours.
Please Note: All students studying at Murdoch University will need to complete the compulsory unit, Murdoch Academic Passport (MAP100), which only takes 2-3 hours to complete online. Find out more: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/MurdochAcademicPassport.
The assessments are designed to give students the opportunity to prepare thoughtfully for their placement, as well as providing a vehicle for active reflection on their learning.
- Placement proposal and documentation (40%)
- Placement reflection (60%)
- Placement - Completion of 90 hour placement (Pass/Fail%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.