- What is science?
- Motion in a straight line
- Newton's laws and vectors
- Momentum and energy
- Gravity and projectile motion
- Heat and thermodynamics
- Electricity and magnetism
- Waves and sound
- Light and optics
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
You should have some knowledge of elementary algebra and trigonometry. If you do not have this knowledge, you should complete MAS110 Fundamentals of Mathematics before completing this subject.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Introduction to Physics.
This is an introductory physics subject, designed to provide a basis for further studies in the physical sciences. It covers a range of topics including measurement, motion, waves, light, thermal energy, electric and magnetic fields. This subject does not require knowledge of calculus. Applications and examples are drawn from the biological, environmental, medical and physical sciences.
- Assignment 1 - Problem solving; short answer (20%)
- Assignment 2 - Problem solving assignments (20%)
- Assignment 3 - 2 hour closed book invigilated exam (50%)
- Assignment 4 - Laboratory reports x 5 (10%)