Create a learning foundation for further science study. Traverse a range of topics from measurement, motion, waves, light, energy to electric fields. Gain and apply knowledge drawn from biological, environmental, medical and physical science fields.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 01 Jun 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the behaviour of matter using the laws and models of classical physics
- solve problems in physics that do not require knowledge of calculus.
- What is science?
- Motion in a straight line
- Newton's laws and vectors
- Momentum and energy
- Gravity and projectile motion
- Heat and thermodynamics
- Electricity and magnetism
- Waves and sound
- Light and optics
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
You should have some knowledge of elementary algebra and trigonometry. If you do not have this knowledge, you should complete MAS110 Fundamentals of Mathematics before completing this subject.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Introduction to Physics.
This is an introductory physics subject, designed to provide a basis for further studies in the physical sciences. It covers a range of topics including measurement, motion, waves, light, thermal energy, electric and magnetic fields. This subject does not require knowledge of calculus. Applications and examples are drawn from the biological, environmental, medical and physical sciences.
Please Note: All students studying at Murdoch University will need to complete the compulsory unit, Murdoch Academic Passport (MAP100), which only takes 2-3 hours to complete online. Find out more: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/MurdochAcademicPassport.
- Problem solving; short answer (20%)
- Problem solving assignments (20%)
- 2 hour closed book invigilated exam (50%)
- Laboratory reports x 5 (10%)
Conceptual Physics Fundamentals
Quicksmart Introductory Physics
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Associate Degree in Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Mechanical Engineering