Create a learning foundation for further science study. Traverse a range of topics from measurement, motion, waves, light, energy to electric fields. Gain and apply knowledge drawn from biological, environmental, medical and physical science fields.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Aug 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the behaviour of matter using the laws and models of classical physics
- solve problems in physics that do not require knowledge of calculus.
- What is science?
- Motion in a straight line
- Newton's laws and vectors
- Momentum and energy
- Gravity and projectile motion
- Heat and thermodynamics
- Electricity and magnetism
- Waves and sound
- Light and optics
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
You should have some knowledge of elementary algebra and trigonometry. If you do not have this knowledge, you should complete MAS110 Fundamentals of Mathematics before completing this subject.
- Other requirements - Murdoch University students should also note that Principles of Physics (PEN152), General Physics (PEC120) and Physics 1A:Mechanics and Heat (M150) are considered academically equivalent and therefore you should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed PEN152, PEC120 or M150.
This subject was previously known as Introduction to Physics.
This is an introductory physics subject, designed to provide a basis for further studies in the physical sciences. It covers a range of topics including measurement, motion, waves, light, thermal energy, electric and magnetic fields. This subject does not require knowledge of calculus. Applications and examples are drawn from the biological, environmental, medical and physical sciences.
This subject cannot be studied at the same time as SCI19 Principles of Physics.
Please Note: All students studying at Murdoch University will need to complete the compulsory unit, Murdoch Academic Passport (MAP100), which only takes 2-3 hours to complete online. Find out more: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/MurdochAcademicPassport.
- Problem solving assignments (20%)
- Tutorials: Problem solving tasks (20%)
- Laboratory reports (10%)
- Final online exam (50%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Conceptual Physics Fundamentals
Quicksmart Introductory Physics
Next study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.