Multiply and calculate your applied mathematical knowledge. Use math models in engineering, science, commerce and economics disciplines. From calculus and complex numbers to differential equations. Build a foundation for higher level maths subjects.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 May 2021
- 30 Aug 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Use the basic ideas, rules and techniques of differentiation and integration.
- Analyse problems and use a range of calculus techniques to solve them.
- Apply differential equations to mathematical models of physical and biological phenomena.
- Use simple differential equations to describe growth and decay and to solve problems.
- Use trigonometric functions in various applications.
- Express complex numbers in Cartesian and polar form.
- Present coherent written solutions to various problems related to the material in the unit.
- Algebra reference
- Linear functions
- Nonlinear functions
- The derivative
- Calculating the derivative
- Graphs and the derivative
- Applications of the derivative
- Exponential and logarithmic functions
- Further techniques and applications of integration
- Differential equations
- The Trigonometric functions
- Complex numbers
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
You are also strongly advised NOT to enrol in MAS120 & MAS110 at the same time. In order to successfully complete MAS120, you will require the knowledge gained from the successful completion of MAS110.
No special requirements
This subject provides an introduction to differential and integral calculus, and basic ordinary differential equations. The concepts and techniques will be motivated and illustrated using mathematical models in engineering, the physical and biological sciences, commerce, economics and the social sciences. Other topics include complex numbers and their applications.
You are also strongly advised NOT to enrol in MAS120 and MAS110 at the same time. In order to successfully complete MAS120, you will require the knowledge gained from the successful completion of MAS110.
Murdoch University advises that students who do not successfully complete MAS110 before attempting MAS120 usually fail MAS120.
Please Note: All students studying at Murdoch University will need to complete the compulsory unit, Murdoch Academic Passport (MAP100), which only takes 2-3 hours to complete online. Find out more: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/MurdochAcademicPassport.
The assessment consists of regular assignments and a final examination. All forms of assessment are based on examples covered in the unit notes, lectures and the textbook. Students get feedback on their submitted assignment work during the teaching period. Students are also able to get help and feedback outside of the assessments from tutors during the teaching period.
- Assignments x 4 (40%)
- Timed Online Exam (60%)
Current study term: 30 May 21 to 29 Aug 21
Calculus with Applications,11th Ed.
Lial, Margaret L., Greenwell, Raymond N. and Ritchey, Nathan P.
Next study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.