Multiply and calculate your applied mathematical knowledge. Use math models in engineering, science, commerce and economics disciplines. From calculus and complex numbers to differential equations. Build a foundation for higher level maths subjects.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
- 01 Jun 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- calculate limits and finite and infinite points
- differentiate powers, exponentials, logs and trigonometric functions
- integrate powers, exponentials, logs and trigonometric functions
- use the product, quotient and chain rules
- use substitution and integration by parts
- solve separable and linear first order ODEs
- solve optimisation problems using calculus
- use linear approximations and related rates
- do basic algebra including exponential functions with complex numbers in Cartesian and polar form.
- Algebra Revision
- Linear and nonlinear functions
- Limits, continuity and the Derivative
- Applications of the Derivative
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Techniques and Applications of Integration
- Differential Equations and application
- The Trigonometric Functions
- Complex Numbers
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
You are also strongly advised NOT to enrol in MAS120 & MAS110 at the same time. In order to successfully complete MAS120,you will require the knowledge gained from the successful completion of MAS110.
No special requirements
The ideas and techniques considered in this subject are basic to many applications of mathematics in engineering and in the biological, physical and social sciences. Mastery of these ideas and techniques at this stage will greatly help later on with an understanding of these disciplines where they are used. They also form a background prerequisite for the subjects MAS130 : Calculus and Matrix Algebra.
You are also strongly advised NOT to enrol in MAS120 and MAS110 at the same time. In order to successfully complete MAS120, you will require the knowledge gained from the successful completion of MAS110.
Murdoch University advises that students who do not successfully complete MAS110 before attempting MAS120 usually fail MAS120.
- Assignments x 5 (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (70%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.