- Algebra Revision
- Linear and nonlinear functions
- Limits, continuity and the Derivative
- Applications of the Derivative
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Techniques and Applications of Integration
- Differential Equations and application
- The Trigonometric Functions
- Complex Numbers
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Assignment 1 - Assignments x 5 (30%)
- Assignment 2 - Invigilated Exam (70%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
No special requirements
The ideas and techniques considered in this subject are basic to many applications of mathematics in engineering and in the biological, physical and social sciences. Mastery of these ideas and techniques at this stage will greatly help later on with an understanding of these disciplines where they are used. They also form a background prerequisite for the subjects MAS130 : Calculus and Matrix Algebra.
You are also strongly advised NOT to enrol in MAS120 and MAS110 at the same time. In order to successfully complete MAS120, you will require the knowledge gained from the successful completion of MAS110.
Murdoch University advises that students who do not successfully complete MAS110 before attempting MAS120 usually fail MAS120.