Rights, Equity and Health
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Outline key issues in healthcare ethics
- Deploy ethical concepts and theories to relevant case studies
- Critically evaluate arguments relating to key topics in healthcare ethics
- Formulate and defend your own ideas with clarity and rigour
- Communicate written arguments clearly
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Pre-requisite: 130cp at 1000 level or above NCCW (pre-2020 units) PHIL341, PHL341 NCCW (2020 and onwards) PHIL3041 Action, Virtue and Character and PHIL2070 Healthcare Ethics
No additional requirements
Health is a universal human right, and the ability to live healthy lives and access healthcare when needed affects everyone. This course reflects the significance of health not only for those in clinical roles and the broader health sector, but all of us. It examines the relationship between equity, rights and health at the individual level (the rights and obligations of patients and providers), the institutional level (the forces that shape and inform provision of healthcare), and the environmental level (the interconnectedness of human, animal and environmental health).
- Essay preparation (15%)
- Essay (40%)
- Reflective Writing (20%)
- Online tutorials (25%)
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations
- Major in Applied Ethics