Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Publishing poetry and short stories
Wield the essential elements of narrative and structure as you continue to develop your writing practice. Workshop your creative concepts. Uncover new possibilities in the contemporary writing form. Produce a piece of creative writing for peer review.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Jul 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
Explore Macquarie courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Acquire and apply knowledge of the different publication venues for poetry and short stories.
- Acquire and apply industry competence to contemporary Australian literary journals, their functioning and role in Australian literary culture and industry.
- Apply skills in relation to craft and technique to the writing of poetry and/or short stories.
- Critique and evaluate their own and other students’ creative writing processes.
- Demonstrate basic publishing skills including editing, proofreading, and formatting for online publication.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ENGX307-Creative Writing 3: Narrative Fiction (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- MAQ-ENGX2033-Creative Writing 2: Short-form Fiction
- MAQ-ENGX233-Creative Writing 2: Concept and Practice (No longer available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units): ENG340, ENGL307, ENGL335, ENGX307 Pre-requisite: 20cp at 2000 level including ENGX2033 or ENGX233
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This unit focuses on developing skills in the production and publication of poetry and short stories. Students explore and analyse creative writing journals that publish poetry and short stories before conceptualising and creating their own work to submit for publication in Macquarie University’s online creative writing journal, The Quarry. Students learn about the publication process, including structural editing, copyediting, proofreading, approaching publishers, the acquisitions and rights process for authors, and producing an online journal.
- Revision and production of final proof (20%)
- Participatory task (30%)
- Workshopping and editing creative work (20%)
- Creative Work (30%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).