Undertake a large-scale research project assessing views and definitions of history since the 19th century. Inspect modern historiographical techniques. Look at empiricism and post-modernism. Unpack the biography's role as a historical tool.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Reflect on and articulate discipline specific skills and graduate capabilities and their potential application beyond university
- Synthesise and integrate knowledge from multiple topic areas
- Extend analytical and critical thinking
- Understand what historical literacy is
- Build and consolidate communication skills (written, oral and interpersonal)
- Work independently and collaboratively (in virtual time and space) to solve, and find creative solutions, to problems.
- What is History and Does it Matter?
- What is Historical Knowledge
- Historical Literacy: Asking Questions
- Historical Literacy: Critical Thinking
- Historical Literacy: Historical Imagination
- Historical Literacy: Historical Judgement
- History and Policy
- Consuming History
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-MHIX300-Making History Work
You should have studied some History/Politics at Level 1 & 2 before starting this subject. It is recommended you complete 1 other Level 3 History subject. This is a capstone subject & must be the last subject taken. 130cp at 1000 level or above or 20 cp in HIST or MHIS units or POL units at 2000 level including 10 cp in HIST or MHIS units.
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as MHIX300 Making History Work.
- Individual Topic Thesis (40%)
- Individual online presentation (30%)
- Written Reflection (20%)
- Active Participation (10%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations