Literature and the Visual
Your upfront cost: $0
- 20 Feb 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a vocabulary for discussing narrative strategies in literary fiction, gaming, graphic novels, film and television
- Demonstrate a knowledge of genres and narrative forms and of the technical resources of different media
- Research and discuss humanist concerns, specifically the role of the past in the present, the nature of human identity, subjectivity and the uses of power, in relation to the set texts
- Analyse the use of the formal resources of different genres, specifically literary fiction, gaming, graphic novels, film and television
- Critically examine the ways in which ideas and speculations about the individual and society have varied between the 17th century and 21st centuries.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ENGX203-Contemporary Literature (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
NCCW (pre-2020 units): ENGL203, ENGL264, ENGX203 Pre-requisite: 40cp
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This unit focuses on intersections between literary and visual narratives across a variety of mediums. Students will analyse traditional literary texts (novels, poetry, short story) alongside graphic novels, television series, films, and video games, to consider the multitude of ways in which visual forms borrow from the literary imagination. The unit will engage with research and scholarship focused on sequential art, serialised television, film studies, and new media theory, while exploring methods of adaptation and transmedia production. Key theoretical and conceptual issues such as narrative methods in poetry, drama, prose, and visual communication and literacy will be examined, along with the role literary and visual narratives play in the public discourse surrounding politics, gender, ethnicity, and the environment.
- Online Quiz (15%)
- Textual Analysis (25%)
- Research Essay (40%)
- Online Participation (20%)
Current study term: 19 Feb 23 to 04 Jun 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.