Freedom Dreams: Foundations in Gender Studies
Unearth new ways of thinking about femininity and masculinity. Read up on male and female representation throughout the literary canon. Address abortion and reproductive rights. Highlight historical and contemporary examples of sexism in the media.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 20 Feb 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Analyse key concepts about gender, its intersections with other identities, and how these shape and are shaped by social, cultural, economic, and political institutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of Gender Studies as an interdisciplinary field and its contribution to understanding the contemporary world.
- Demonstrate an understanding of historical development of different forms of feminism, what they have contributed the field of Gender Studies, and why they matter today.
- Research and synthesise media and scholarly texts.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-GENX110-Foundations in Gender Studies (No longer available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) WST110, GENX110, GEN110 NCCW (2020 and onwards) GEND1000 Freedom Dreams: Foundations in Gender Studies
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject is an introduction to Gender Studies, an interdisciplinary field that analyses gender and how it intersects with sexuality, race, class, different abilities, and other identities. We establish foundational knowledge of and key concepts in how gender has been theorised and debated through exploring grassroots gender liberation activism including feminism, gay liberation, and the trans and intersex movements.
- Short Essay (20%)
- Final Essay (40%)
- Participation (20%)
- Quizzes (20%)
Current study term: 19 Feb 23 to 04 Jun 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.