Freedom Dreams: Foundations in Gender Studies
Unearth new ways of thinking about femininity and masculinity. Read up on male and female representation throughout the literary canon. Address abortion and reproductive rights. Highlight historical and contemporary examples of sexism in the media.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Analyse key concepts about gender, its intersections with other identities, and how these shape and are shaped by social, cultural, economic, and political institutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of Gender Studies as an interdisciplinary field and its contribution to understanding the contemporary world.
- Demonstrate an understanding of historical development of different forms of feminism, what they have contributed the field of Gender Studies, and why they matter today.
- Research and synthesise media and scholarly texts.
- Introduction to Gender Studies
- Bodies, Brains and Binaries
- 1970s Feminisms
- 1970s Men's Liberation and the Rise of Men's Studies
- Paris is Burning: Performativity and Queer Theory
- Third Wave/Third World Feminisms
- The Transgender Movement
- Intersex and Trans Spectrums
- Gender and Intimacy
- Gender and Nation and Conclusions
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
NCCW (pre-2020 units) WST110, GENX110, GEN110 GEND1000 Freedom Dreams: Foundations in Gender Studies
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject is an introduction to Gender Studies, an interdisciplinary field that analyses gender and how it intersects with sexuality, race, class, different abilities, and other identities. We establish foundational knowledge of and key concepts in how gender has been theorised and debated through exploring grassroots gender liberation activism including feminism, gay liberation, and the trans and intersex movements.
- Short Essay (20%)
- Final Essay (40%)
- Participation (20%)
- Quizzes (20%)
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations
- Major in Applied Ethics