Ethics, Business and Work
Break down the ethical considerations that can stem from business activities. Firm up your view on a business' social responsibilities. Unpack codes of conduct and whistleblowing. Question the ability of corporations to influence government policies.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion on this subject students will be able to:
- Demonstrate good general knowledge of the major issues in contemporary business and professional ethics
- Understand the major ethical concepts and theories that inform the business and professional ethics literature
- Analyse and critically evaluate theories and arguments in the relevant literature
- Relate ethical concepts and theories to relevant case studies and current events
- Develop your own perspective, through analysis of the views and arguments presented in the unit
- Demonstrate improved skills in clarity of thought and communication.
- Ultimate Values, Business and the Professions
- Ethics and the Nature of Moral Reasoning
- The Social Responsibility of Business
- Justice, Markets and Equality
- Ethical Issues in Advertising
- Business and the Environment
- Corporate Influence on Government
- Justice and Globalisation
- Industry Relations with the Professions
- Discrimination and Affirmative Action
- Ethical Business Models and Moral Managers
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PHI230 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-PHIX201-Business and Professional Ethics (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
NCCW (pre-2020 units) PHI230, PHIL201, PHIL264, PHIL364, PHL264, PHL364, PHIX201 Pre-requisite 40cp at 1000 level or above
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as PHI230, PHIX201 Business and Professional Ethics.
Please note: This subject is available in Macquarie Semester 3, which is an intensive semester that spans only 5 intensive teaching weeks, plus a mid-semester recess and an assessment period. Students are advised to enrol in only one or two subjects in Semester 3. Students who would prefer to take the unit over 13 teaching weeks should enrol in the Semester 1 offering.
This unit investigates some of main ethical issues that arise in professional life and from the activities of businesses and corporations. The unit explores the nature and value of work as well as its role in personal identity and social organisation. We also consider the obligations and responsibilities that come with professional work and the management of businesses. We examine the nature of corporations and their responsibilities to individual workers and consumers, stakeholders, groups such as women and minorities, and the environment.
- 2 short quizzes (20%)
- Final Test (35%)
- Participation (15%)
- Reflective Writing (30%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 14 Jan 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations
- Major in Applied Ethics