Reading for Writers
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Feb 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 36,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Identify authorial techniques in texts and articulate how and why they are used.
- Apply specific authorial techniques in written work.
- Analyse a literary text, using the tools and vocabulary of the working writer.
- Produce a narrative that effectively employs techniques and structures identified in the course of study.
- • How to read like a writer.
- • Key elements of writing and how to use them.
- • Style, language and form in fiction.
- • How to give and receive feedback on writing.
- • Writing humour, drama and the fantastical.
Past La Trobe University students who have previously completed CPW2RFW (Reading For Writers) are ineligible to enrol in this subject.
No additional requirements
In this subject, you will undertake a close and scholarly analysis of fiction and creative non fiction. Reading across a range of genres in 20th and 21st century work, you will engage with texts to identify the stylistic and technical choices writers have made and to consider the effects of these both in the prescribed texts and how they can apply these in their own writing.
- Creative narrative response to a text using techniques analysed in class. (2000 words) (45%)
- Workbook of exercises and responses completed in-class, online, and at home. (1500 words) (35%)
- Weekly online reading exercises (500 words equivalent) (20%)
Current study term: 26 Feb 23 to 26 May 23
Textbook information is pending.