Creative Non Fiction
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Feb 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 36,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Demonstrate writing that uses form and structure to convey meaning.
- Discuss an array of ideas and theories related to memoir and creative nonfiction.
- Engage critically with texts about the self, and particularly the self in relation to nature.
- Practice forms of creative nonfiction writing.
- • Different forms of memoir and creative nonfiction.
- • Writing techniques, tips and tools.
- • Writing about places, landscape and nature.
- • Telling other people’s stories.
- • Ethical and creative decisions writers make.
Past La Trobe University students who have previously completed ENG2WAB (Writing Autobiography), or ENG3WAB (Writing Creative Nonfiction) are ineligible to enrol in this subject. Pre-requisites: Students must have completed 60 credit points of Level one subjects.
No additional requirements
In this subject, you are introduced to key forms of creative nonfiction, and the techniques and tools required to write these well. We conduct interlinked experiments in writing and, importantly, reading across a wide range of forms. You will read and interrogate many genres, including memoir, travel, reportage and history. You are encouraged to engage critically with ideas about nonfiction, including: the idea of the narrator and narrative voice; authenticity, objectivity and truth; the relationship between self and others, places, nature and identity; form and genre; humanness and memory; pasts and presents.
- Assignment 1: 1500 words. Formative. Folio of edited weekly writing activities (35%)
- Assignment 2: 2000 words. Major piece of creative non-fiction plus a short critical reflection. (45%)
- Weekly online collaborative reading activities (500 words equivalent). (10%)
- Contribute responses to weekly online writing prompts (500 words equivalent). (10%)
Current study term: 26 Feb 23 to 26 May 23
Textbook information is pending.