Big Data Management on the Cloud
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 38,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
Explore La Trobe courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Apply your knowledge of Amazon Web Services to design a cloud-based solution for a given application scenario.
- Implement fundamental cloud-based services using Amazon Web Service interfaces.
- Analyse the internals of the Map Reduce Framework.
- Solve big data analytics problems by implementing solutions using the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Analyse the performance benefits of contrasting No SQL stores.
- • Cloud computing
- • Amazon Web Services.
- • Hadoop.
- • Apache Spark.
- • MapReduce.
- • NoSQL Stores.
- • Hive.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one ofand
Past La Trobe University students who have previously completed CSE4BDC (Big Data Management On The Cloud) or CSE5BDC (Big Data Management On The Cloud) are ineligible to enrol in this subject.
No additional requirements
Companies are acquiring massive amounts of data and providing Internet-based service to millions of people. This is extremely challenging due to the large scale of data involved and the huge number of concurrent requests by users. This subject will cover the current state-of-the-art technologies for analysing huge amounts of data and responding to millions of user requests within one second. Currently the most cost-efficient way of achieving the above aim is to use large-scale cloud-based services offered by vendors such as Amazon, Google, IBM, Microsoft, etc. You will have the opportunity to learn how to use the cloud services provided by Amazon Web Services to meet the big data needs of businesses. The subject will also cover how to program the world’s most popular Big Data analytics framework called Hadoop with a focus on Map Reduce, Hive and Apache Spark. This subject will also cover the following topics: cloud architectures, parallel database systems, key value stores, transaction support in the cloud, virtualization, and multi-tenant database systems.
- Programming Assignment (equivalent to 1500 words). (30%)
- Quizzes associated with weekly labs (500 words equivalent). (10%)
- Centrally administered exam (2000 words equivalent). (60%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
- Software Engineering
- Cloud Analytics