Agrifinance and Risk Management
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 Jul 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 36,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Develop an understanding of financial management and risk management principles, concepts and theories relevant to firms operating in the agribusiness environment.
Engage professionally with agribusiness practitioners in a workshop setting and be able to apply knowledge garnered from workshops to a case study scenario.
Critically evaluate and effectively apply core financial management and risk management principles, concepts and theories as they relate to firms operating in the agribusiness environment.
- • Financial management and the role of financial markets.
- • Business structure.
- • Financial statement analysis.
- • Firm financing.
- • Risk management.
- • Capital structure.
- • Investment decisions and project evaluation.
- • Blockchain applications and digital finance.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This subject addresses the application of financial management and risk management principles to the decision making of firms operating in the agribusiness environment. In this subject, you will be introduced to the procedures used in the evaluation and analysis of the financial operations of these firms. Further, you will examine and analyse different business structures, undertake an analysis of the issues related to capital structure, and will understand the effect that funding sources have in terms of a firms cost of capital. You will further develop your understanding of the importance of the time value of money concept, particularly as it relates to the strategic decision making process of agribusiness firms. Finally, you will spend time examining the range of risks agribusinesses confront and will develop an understanding of the risk mitigation techniques and project evaluation methods utilised by these firms in the management of these risks.
- Pre-Block mode Assignment (1,000 words equivalent) Assessment to be submitted prior to the beginning of the place-based intensive. (20%)
- Case Study (1,500 words equivalent) This task will draw on discussions and activities undertaken during workshops. (30%)
- Major Assignment (2,000 words equivalent) This assessment will require students to apply the knowledge they have gained over the course of the semester. (50%)
Current study term: 30 Jul 23 to 27 Oct 23
Textbook information is pending.