Rooms Division Management
Enter the rooms division of hotel and resort management. Consult common approaches for setting room rate structures. Take housekeeping, property maintenance, recruitment and front of house into account. See where security and safety concerns fit in.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Critically evaluate management issues that are relevant to the Rooms Division operation of a hotel/resort, including front office operations, yield management techniques, managing service quality, employee recruitment and training, housekeeping, property maintenance and sustainability.
- Calculate and interpret operational data for a hotel/resort and use the results to make informed decisions about tactics.
- The hotel industry context and hotel structures
- Managing guest service
- Global reservations technologies, including distribution and revenue management
- Individual reservations and group bookings
- Forecasting availability and overbooking
- Room rate structures
- Financial management, inc. guest folios cash and credit
- Housekeeping management, inc. environment & sustainability
- Hotel Technology, safety and security
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
Please note: This subject was previously known as HSL216.
The Rooms Division of a hotel/resort enterprise generates the most revenue, and their staff and management have the most interaction with the guests. Therefore the management of the Rooms Division is crucial to the overall profitability and level of guest service that a hotel/resort provides. This degree allows students to learn both management theory and management operational skills that are relevant to the successful operation of the Rooms Division of a hotel/resort.
- Case Study — Case Analysis (40%)
- Project (40%)
- Quiz — Online Quiz (20%)