Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Creative Writing, Forms and Structures
Your upfront cost: $0
- 17 Jul 2023
With a network of campuses spanning three cities in South East Queensland, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from over one hundred countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
Learn more about Griffith.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject you will be able to:
- recognise fundamental issues in creative writing - its practices, forms and industries
- discuss ideas relevant to creative writing craft and professional skills with reference to form and structure in a range of genres
- engage with the content of the subject through written skills, eg. in the production of an original creative folio (accompanied by exegetical writing) developed during the Study Period
- understand basic requirements for progress in a university creative writing major including, eg. writing creative products, essays, exegeses, referencing, bibliographies, etc.
- Introduction to forms and structures
- The academic essay
- The personal essay
- The short story
- The poem
- The critical review
- Writing for new technologies
- The exegesis
- Writing for alternative performance
- The feature article
- Workshopping and writing collaborations
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This subject provides an introduction to the fundamentals of contemporary practice in a range of forms pertinent to creative writing industries and the studentâ€™s progress through a creative writing major in a bachelorâ€™s degree. The forms focussed on are: the poem, the performance script and film script, electronic literature forms, the critical review, the essay and the exegesis.Â
You will have opportunity to develop basic skills and understandings of the structures in each of these forms, and will be provided with a supportive environment for producing a folio of original pieces reflecting your development.
- Academic or Personal Essay (35%)
- Creative Assignment (35%)
- Online Discussion (30%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).