- Introduction to broadcast journalism
- Getting the basics down (news packaging, interviewing, writing, formatting and presenting your script)
- Production project (recording audio and video)
- Putting it all together (editing)
- Legal issues
- On-line news
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
Focus on researching, writing and producing news and current affairs stories for television and online. You will explore: History of broadcast journalism; Radio and television; The newsroom; The studio; Writing for broadcast; The line-up; Voice and presentation; Camera and sound; Principles of interviewing; The edit; The pitch; Story planning and production and the practice of mobile journalism. You will need to have access to the internet on a computer with standard modern inclusions (Mic and Webcam).
Broadcast Journalism is designed to extend and develop the skills introduced in second year Journalism subjects with a focus on researching, writing and producing news and current affairs stories for television and online. This unit also includes advanced techniques in media presentation, production, problem solving and the student's critical evaluation of their own performance.
- Assignment 1 - Production (40%)
- Assignment 2 - Writing: broadcast & program (20%)
- Assignment 3 - The Pitch (20%)
- Assignment 4 - Newsroom Contribution (20%)