- Australian literature in the 1930s
- Australian literature and the Second World War
- The Patrick White phenomenon
- The ecological crisis
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Note: Level 3 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 and 2 subjects or other relevant experience.
No special requirements
Explore Australian writing between 1930 and the late 1990s in the context of the three great national crises of those years: The Great Depression; The Second World War; and The Ecological Crisis. In this subject you read a selection of novels, poetry and short stories by writers including Eleanor Dark, Patrick White, Kenneth Slessor, John Manifold and Katharine Susannah Prichard, Thea Astley and David Malouf. This subject examines the inter-relations between literary writing and reading, cultural institutions and political movements and ideologies in Australian history from the 1930s to 1990.
- Assignment 1 - Non-Invigilated Exam (40%)
- Assignment 2 - Comparitive (35%)
- Assignment 3 - Online Discussion (25%)