Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- Introduction to editing and publishing
- Copyediting resources and how-to
- Sentence punctuation
- Proofreading resources and how-to
- Word punctuation and spelling
- Grammar 1
- Grammar 2
- Capitalisation, numbers and referencing
- Author-editor relations and developmental editing resources
- Developmental editing how-to
- Themes, plot, structure and pacing
- Careers in editing and publishing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
No special requirements
The subject provides a practical introduction to editing. Students learn about the editor's role and profession, the publishing process and editorial project management; and they learn and practise the skills needed for professional proofreading and copyediting, including language skills, on the page and the screen. Student learning is graduated through a series of successively higher-level editing tasks, which students practise thoroughly in workshops, and are assessed in before moving to a higher level.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Proofreading (30%)
- Copyediting (30%)
- Developmental Editing (40%)
Bachelor of Arts Fine Art and Professional Writing and Publishing
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Painting
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Sculpture