Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
You are currently viewing the 2018 version of this course. Change to 2019
- Introduction to publishing
- The role of the editor
- Manuscript appraisal & structural editing
- Editing skills
- Using MS Word
- Editing for digital delivery
- Introduction to layout and design
- Designing for print
- Designing for digital (an introduction)
- Summary of writing, editing and publishing techniques and skills
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
- OtherDetails -
The subject provides a practical introduction to editing. Students learn about the editor's role and profession, the publishing process and editorial project management; and they learn and practise the skills needed for professional proofreading and copyediting, including language skills, on the page and the screen. Student learning is graduated through a series of successively higher-level editing tasks, which students practise thoroughly in workshops, and are assessed in before moving to a higher level.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Proofreading (30%)
- Copyediting (30%)
- Developmental Editing (40%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts Fine Art and Professional Writing and Publishing
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Painting
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Sculpture