Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- What is creative non-fiction?
- Storytelling elements in creative non-fiction
- Scene and summary at work
- Develop the personal essay
- Using research in creative non-fiction
- Writing memoir and the personal voice
- Writing about place and bringing settings to life
- Exploring our everyday surroundings
- Character and dialogue in creative non-fiction
- Why you write - stage development and growth consciousness
- Truth, ethics and privacy
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
Creative non-fiction is a hybrid of literature and non-fiction. It includes narrative non-fiction, memoir, personal essay and literary journalism, and combines the diligence of the journalist, the analysis of the essayist and the story telling techniques of the novelist. The genre encompasses a broad range of topics in which the narrative events and experiences are used to explore more complex themes and issues, and in which ethical and cross-cultural issues are addressed. In this subject, you will read and analyse works of creative non-fiction and write an original work of your own.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Creative non-fiction proposal (15%)
- Assignment 2 - Major creative non-fiction (40%)
- Assignment 3 - Workshop and presentation (15%)
- Assignment 4 - Creative non-fiction (30%)