Writing Short Fiction
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify the traditions, parameters and possibilities of the short story form and apply to the creation of new exploratory work.
- demonstrate skills in the close reading of short stories as a means of approaching the form from a writing point of view.
experiment with various methods, devices and techniques commonly used in conceiving and developing short fiction.
reflect on constructive criticism of one's own short fiction and appraise work-in-progress of peers.
conceive, draft and complete a series of works of short fiction.
- Introduction to Short Fiction
- Showing: Detail and Images
- Dialogue and Characterisation
- Direct and Indirect Characterisation
- Workshop Practice
- Fictional Place
- Fictional Time
- Plot and Structure
- Point of view
- Creativity and Story Design
- Revision and Reflexivity
- Drafting and editing
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Book of readings
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
An intermediate subject in the theory and practice of writing short prose fiction. Emphasis on critical workshop discussion leading to completed examples of the students own work. The curriculum further encourages an appreciation of language through textual consideration and the practice of creative writing, including drafting and editing.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Writers Journal (35%)
- Short story plus reflection (40%)
- Short story plus reflection - demonstrating characters in conflict (25%)
Textbook information is pending.