Visual Narrative Studio
Apply your animation and game design skills to a collaborative project with like-minded creatives. Tell a story, consider culture, and work in a team. Join up with illustrators, writers and filmmakers to produce an engaging narrative-based outcome.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
- 30 May 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- employ collaborative team approaches to projects
- incorporate cultural influences from emerging, cyber, global, and Indigenous Australian cultures into narrative based projects
- evaluate and apply technical and creative narrative construction skills and tools to a final narrative-based outcome
- self-critique, adapt and revise project outcomes in a collaborative environment.
- Narrative Structures and Considerations
- Concept Development for your Visual Narrative
- Design Considerations for Visual Narratives on Digital Platforms
- Production Approaches and Design Issues
- Production Planning
- Development Workshop 1
- Development Workshop 2
- Collaborative Development
- Collaborative Development and Feedback
- Prototype Polish
- Presentation and Showcase Preparation
- Presentation and Showcase
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- Equipment requirements - Computer capable of running project-relevant animation software
- Other requirements -
Relevant Animation Software (eg. Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, zBrush etc)
In this subject students will work collaboratively on cross-disciplinary projects to construct engaging visual narratives. Students will work with illustrators, creative writers, filmmakers, animation and game designers to develop visual narrative content and apply skills in animation design, game design, screen writing and visual development. Storytelling techniques and strategies will be explored considering emerging cultures, cyber-cultures, global cultures and Indigenous cultures in order to promote and preserve local and international cultures across various platforms.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Project proposal (25%)
- Project report (25%)
- Final project (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Visual Storytelling: The Art and Technique, Limited ed.
Caputo, Tony C., et al.
Next study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.