Learn travel writing conventions through short exercises and discussions. Discover how freelance travel writers find work and develop relationships with editors. Develop a publishable piece of travel writing that you could pitch to a publication.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and critically discuss a number of contemporary travel writers and a range of travel writing
- apply their understanding of the travel writing genre to the completion of a series of writing exercises, each designed to illuminate an aspect of prose composition
- explain the process and framework of freelance professional travel writing
- produce a substantial and carefully written travel story/feature/essay.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This subject concentrates on contemporary travel writing in the short story/feature/essay form and has instructional value for both creative and professional writing students.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Research Article (45%)
- Travel Writing Project (35%)
- Short Composition (20%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Bachelor of Arts Creative Writing Professional Writing and Publishing