Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Tort Liability for Business
Map the areas where property, business and the law intersect. Get the background on the Torrens title system of land registration. You’ll be exposed to real property legislation, exploring issues as diverse as mortgages and native title.
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain the requirements (elements) of a range of different torts that impact on professionals in business
- apply relevant legal concepts and principles to analyse and solve a case study
- communicate legal concepts effectively in written and oral activities using clear, concise and appropriate language.
- Introduction to torts
- Principles of tort liability, overview of negligence & duty of care
- The duty of care
- Breach of the duty of care
- Professional negligence & pure economic loss
- Damages & defences
- Intentional infliction of purely economic loss - an overview and vicarious liability
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
Meaning of a tort, compensation outside the torts system. Negligence: duty of care, breach of duty, causation and remoteness, assessment of damages and defences. Professional negligence. Intentional infliction of purely economic loss. Defamation. Trespass. Class actions. Societal Demands.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Written assignment (20%)
- Final invigilated exam (50%)
- Oral and Problem based (30%)