Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Tort Liability for Business
Cement your understanding of legal wrongs in business. Understand duty of care. Use a case study to explore a tort, like negligence or defamation, and the consequent responsibilities and legal obligations of business entities and professionals.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 01 Mar 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain the requirements (elements) of a range of different torts that impact on professionals in business
- apply relevant legal concepts and principles to analyse and solve a case study
- communicate legal concepts effectively in written and oral activities using clear, concise and appropriate language.
- Introduction to torts
- Principles of tort liability, overview of negligence & duty of care
- The duty of care
- Breach of the duty of care
- Professional negligence & pure economic loss
- Damages & defences
- Intentional infliction of purely economic loss - an overview and vicarious liability
Meaning of a tort, compensation outside the torts system. Negligence: duty of care, breach of duty, causation and remoteness, assessment of damages and defences. Professional negligence. Intentional infliction of purely economic loss. Defamation. Trespass. Class actions. Societal Demands.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Oral Presentation and Problem Based Assignment (30%)
- Written Assignment (20%)
- Report (50%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.