Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- Introduction to torts
- Principles of tort liability, overview of negligence & duty of care
- The duty of care
- Breach of the duty of care
- Professional negligence & pure economic loss
- Damages & defences
- Intentional infliction of purely economic loss - an overview and vicarious liability
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
Meaning of a tort, compensation outside the torts system. Negligence: duty of care, breach of duty, causation and remoteness, assessment of damages and defences. Professional negligence. Intentional infliction of purely economic loss. Defamation. Trespass. Class actions. Societal Demands.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Written assignment (20%)
- Assignment 2 - Final invigilated exam (50%)
- Assignment 3 - Oral and Problem based (30%)