- Personal Mathematics Competency
- Extended Personal Use of Mathematics
- Essential Statistics
- NAPLAN What is it and what does it mean
- Personal numeracy and use of mathematics
- Numeracy in the real world
- Technologies and mathematics
- The Australian Curriculum: Mathematics
- Mathematical language and terminology
- Mathematics of the Human Body
- Mathematics - a history
- Exploring Mathematics and using it to communicate
- Open forum discussion and the review of the unit outcomes
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This Subject is the first in a series of four on mathematical education for pre-service teachers. In this Subject the focus is on mathematical content knowledge and personal numeracy. Skills in all strands of the Australian mathematics curriculum will be developed and confidence levels in educators will be addressed. Mathematical language and methods of communicating mathematical ideas with words, pictures and symbols are emphasised. The particular aspects of mathematics required for teaching, including basic statistics and interpretation of research, are covered. The Subject examines development of best practice in mathematics lessons in preparation for subsequent subjects.
This subject emphasises Standard 2 (know the content and how to teach it) of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and aspects of Standard 5 (specifically 5.4). In addition, the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority’s Curriculum Specification 1 (psychology and child development), 2 (Education and curriculum studies), and 3 (early childhood pedagogies) are addressed.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Analysis and Report (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Exercises (50%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject