Study how a solid structure secures the function and integrity of buildings. Learn the structural principles of construction and identify best practice. Recognise the relationship between structure and force. Design a structure and assess stability.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 May 2023
- 27 Nov 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify the principles of basic structural mechanics
- apply core principles of basic structural mechanics to prepare a simple structural design
- analyse the stability of a simple structural design
- select appropriate forms of structural design that meet the best practice requirements.
- Introduction to Structures
- Loading on Structures
- Principles of Statics and Structural Analysis
- Fundamentals of Structural Design
- Temporary Structures
- Introduction to Soil Mechanics, Foundation and Earth Retaining Structures
- Earth Retaining Structures
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-CME104C-Structures (No longer available)
- Equipment requirements - Audio video equipment required
In this subject, students will be introduced to basic structural mechanics, geo-mechanics, and loadings on buildings. Students will develop an understanding of the design of foundations and basic structural elements.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (50%)
- Final eTest (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).